Friday 18 March 2011

I sometimes wish there was a god...

because then I could have someone to get angry at when things go wrong.

Hello all, the Guru and Mrs B are both very tired today. We have joined the ranks of the Groupon Groupies and spent last night at a nice hotel in Grantham. I enjoyed a round of golf whilst Mrs B enjoyed the swimming pool and I played golf well enough to not be angry.  I then had a nice relaxing bath which eased me into the evening and we then shared a nice meal with a bottle of wine and then coffee and cointreau.

All of this for £26.00 - a real bargain.

Today, a visit to Stamford and a walk around the market enabling Mrs B to buy some nice fresh vegetables and have a look in the tourist shops - where a plastic orchid retails for £69.00!

Home and then Tesco for a quick shop, all without incident except for the pharmacy stating that my prescription would be ready in 90 minutes!

Normally that would be enough to set me off but I remained calm and it is only now that I sit down to write that I feel like shaking my fist at someone. Actually I feel like kicking gods teeth right down his almighty throat.

One of the questions that is often posed is why would any god let bad things happen to good people? Earthquakes and other natural disasters destroying the lives of hundreds if not thousands in the blink of an eye.

What about the children who are the victims of abuse? Where is god on those occasions?

What about the hundreds who are killed by dangerous and drunk drivers, quietly going about their business only to have their life snuffed out because some idiot decided he knew that he could take that corner at 60mph even though the limit is 30mph.

There are so many more examples that make people question is there a loving and omnipotent god?

The usual answer is god moves in a mysterious way or mankind is not intelligent enough to understand the plan that god has for mankind. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away - blessed be the name of the Lord!

We just have to accept it and move on...

Last night we had a phone call, it was a call to tell us that a young man who Mrs B and I are very fond of, has been diagnosed with cancer.

I don't want to be too specific because it is not for me to breach any confidences but needless to say the first thing I thought was - why him?

There will be many who have had similar experiences I'm sure, questioning why someone they love is dealt an awful hand in life whilst we all know people who are just a waste of space and yet seem to get away with murder.

Life is not fair...

You feel so helpless - no one to shout at, no one to blame.

Life is not fair...

I don't suppose it would be right if we could apply for the job of arbiter in these matters - our personal feelings would cloud our judgement I'm sure. Then again, if I had the job I would certainly take the cancer from this young, talented and charming man and give it Colonel Gaddafi -  without hesitation!

Would that be wrong?

(In memory of Charlie Adams) x

1 comment: