Sunday 20 March 2011

The Fear Factor

There is logic I suppose, in killing civilians to protect civilians. There is a moral argument that bombing Tripoli and killing 50 might save Benghazi being bombed and thereby saving hundreds.

I listen to the likes of Bob Stewart talk about the regrets he has in not stopping what happened in the Balkans, the massacres that went on right under the noses of UN troops. It all seems sensible, and no one likes Gaddafi really, I suspect his supporters would evaporate once they realise his power has ebbed away.

So why am I left with this strange queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach?

Why am I concerned that this will not turn out for the best?

What do I fear?

Regret about the past stokes our fear for the future - not just in Libya, but in everyday life.

I recall a quote by someone slightly more famous than me, it was something like "Those who ignore the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them", and this is the mindset that leads the UN to call for the action being taken in Libya - they don't want to be accused of standing by and watching the protestors wiped from the face of the planet.

I have lots of quotes for you today, "it is better to live with the regret of doing something than to live with the regret of doing nothing" - that's my bastardised version of a quote by Mr Anon.

Mr Anon was a very wise man, he has quotes for every occasion and I use this quote quite often but then again I also like to remind people of how corrosive and dangerous regret can be - because if we spend all our time wallowing in regret for the past we are wasting energy that should be directed at living today.

My thoughts are with several several people who reside in the tent of light that is my auspices - and they are facing battles of their own. The battles cannot be won by UN resolution nor the firing of missiles but they can be fought with a resolution to not let regret be the motivating factor in the decisions they make.

The past is past and cannot be changed, the future is an undiscovered country (a little Star Trek and Shakespeare there) but in our own way we are all time travellers, we can travel to the future that we want, we just have to travel there one day at a time.

A love of life, a realisation that no matter what we think waits for us at the end of a physical life, we only get one shot at it - make it count, try and have the courage to be happy - because sometimes we have to overcome our fear of the past and be brave enough to want a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment