Monday 16 December 2013

Hollywood Greats

I'm not obsessed with death - it's just a hobby.

I also love a good film and being of a certain age I believe  that many of the best films were made before CGI existed.

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), Stagecoach (1939), The Maltese Falcon (1941), Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) - I could go on, so I will.

From 12 Angry Men (1957) to Network (1976)  we were still getting great movies starring fantastic actors.

One of those actors died this past weekend, Peter O'Toole.


 I felt compelled to mention on Facebook how he was such a magnificent actor that he made any old pile of crap that he was in look classy - I would offer his portrayal of Priam in Troy (2004) as an example. There is one scene in which the once proud king is watching his city burn and you see all the anguish in his face - he doesn't offer one word. A masterclass in how to do nothing, yet say everything.


His legacy is secure - that he did not win an Oscar is a shame but it does not diminish his work in such films as The Lion In Winter (1968) or Goodbye Mr Chips (1969).


It was then announced this morning that the actress Joan Fontaine had died at the age of 96. 

Rebecca (1940), is another film I never tire of watching.

Anyway, let me get to the point. We are running out of stars, real Hollywood stars and we don't seem to be making any new ones!

Who is left?

Luise Rainer (aged 103) was a huge star in the 1930's - a double Oscar winner.

Olivia De Havilland (97) sister of Ms Fontaine although they famously did not get on!  

From the aforementioned Robin Hood film with Errol Flynn and of course Gone With The Wind (1939).

Kirk Douglas (97) - I'm Spartacus! And Van Gogh. And Doc Holliday. And Colonel Dax...etc.

Maureen O'Hara (93) the lady who could swashbuckle as well as any man but best known for her films with John Wayne.

Mickey Rooney (93) - need I say anything more than Mickey Rooney!

Doris Day (91),  Sir Christopher Lee (91), Richard Attenborough (90).

Lauren Bacall (89) and Angela Lansbury (88)

Clint Eastwood is 83 for goodness sake!

There are numerous other names I could add to this list but the point is made I think.

Do we really think that the films of Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller will still be as popular in 50 years time as the films of Jerry Lewis (87)?

Anyway, thanks for dropping by...it's just me mourning the loss of a great actor who famously once said:

I will not be a common man. I will stir the smooth sands of monotony.



RIP








1 comment:

  1. So true Guru, so true. They don't make them like they used to :-(

    ReplyDelete