Wednesday 9 March 2011

How many Dicks do you know?

Hi Di Hi

Whilst watching Breakfast TV this morning, I noted the appearance of Richard Westcott, reporting on the demise of the public toilet - as I have already stated elsewhere, with his scruffy beard and clothing and in the manner with which he nonchalantly leaned against the toilet door, he gave the impression of a French rent boy.

It got me thinking about other Richard's famous or not - that have crossed my path.

I have a brother called Richard, he is not famous - yet. He did have his moment in the spotlight as a boy soprano. My mother wept tears of joy as he stood before the congregation and sang the opening verse to Once In Royal Davids City for a Christmas carol concert. His singing career petered out after appearing as one of Fagin's gang in a production of Oliver.

Being from Mansfield I must mention Richard Bacon, now I don't know Mr Bacon but I have met his mum and dad, does that count?

Last night I heard Miriam Margoyles on the Graham Norton show stating her dislike for the late Richard Harris - he was grumpy apparently.

Now Richard Widmark looked grumpy but was a very nice man by all accounts and then I recalled Richard Whitleley but after that I started to run short of famous Richards.

Oh wait, Richard Roundtree just jumped into my mind - he was the original Shaft of course...

And another flash - many years ago Mrs B and I were on holiday and we happened to be in LA on the day that Little Richard was being given his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame - didn't meet him but we got close enough to see that it was really him, or what was left of him after all the plastic surgery.

Dick Dastardly - but he was a cartoon character...

Dick Sargeant - from Bewitched...

suddenly all these dicks were flashing in my head!

But there must be more so how to jog my memory and dredge up some more names - I know, the internet....


Dear Readers, please take my advice and  type "famous Richards" NOT "celebrity dicks" in your search engine. I got quite a shock.

I am going to leave you now to come up with your own Richards and Dicks.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. How interesting.

    Dickie Davies, Dick Francis, Richard Dimbleby... ... ...

    I too have met Richard Bacon's mum and dad, but I don't think I'v met Richard himself.

    ReplyDelete