Thursday 16 January 2020

The Rhythm Of Life

January 16th

The Rhythm Of Life

When you’ve been to the edge you at least know where it  is…

It was most kind of those of you who made comments about yesterday’s blog. All the nice things you said in such a supportive manner, all true of course and accepted with due humility.

I’ve never been short of good wishes but let me once again express this thought before we move on. I currently have the mindset which although noticing the praise, still expects disaster to call at any moment. Pessimist? Anxiety? Whatever, I’m fine but thank you.

Talking is good, but sitting quietly and listening is good too. Whether that be to people who need to get things off their chest or to the best medicine in the world…music.

Last night I sat in the audience at the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham to hear the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by John Wilson. The concert was entitled Discovering Vaughan Williams, and we began with a wonderfully illuminating guide to his Symphony No 6, which the orchestra played in the second half. Stephen Johnson spoke with such apparent knowledge and passion, explaining the history of the piece and how it was received upon its completion in 1948.

As he spoke, his thoughts were highlighted by excerpts played by the orchestra.

I was enthralled and it took me back to my school days in the early 1970’s, when my music teacher, Mrs Bird, played for us Mendelssohn’s Hebrides Overture (Fingal's Cave). I shall never regret picking music as one of my O Level subjects and my passion for music, although born much earlier, was sealed as she spoke so knowledgeably and enthusiastically about the composer and the themes explored in his work.

I only wish that the audience last night had more young people in it, to discover the joy of music and the motivations of those who create it. And to those who think they don’t like classical music, well if you like film scores by John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith, you’ll like Vaughan Williams, even a somewhat challenging piece like his Sixth Symphony.

Vaughan Williams was a composer we also studied, his Fantasia on Greensleeves and The Lark Ascending were the pieces I recalled from school days, but I wasn’t aware then but I’d already crossed paths with the one of his themes from the Sixth Symphony as it was used as the theme to A Family At War (1970 - 1972).

A Family At War


Of course, the symphony is much more complex and turbulent than this lovely lilting melody would have you suspect and hearing it played last night reinvigorated my interest in the composer.


But the real revelation last night was the piece the orchestra played before the interval, entitled ‘In The Fen Country’. Described by the composer as a “symphonic impression”, it again summons up images from my childhood as I was born in the Fenlands and knew those great bleak expanses so well.

If you have 15 minutes to spare, I invite you to listen to it.


In The Fen Country




It’s now added to my list of favourite classical pieces.

I’m convinced that music is great therapy, and there are pieces I turn to when I need to feel joy or shed a tear.

Here are three of the classical pieces I love ( there are many non classical pieces of course, Sondheim being my mainstay)  and here are links if you want to hear them, but I’d be really interested to hear your personal choices of musical medicine.

All of these pieces are very accessible I promise you…I left the Mahler out!



Solveig's Song by Grieg

Poulenc: Gloria (6) Qui sedes...

Saint-Saëns - Symphony 3 (Finale)









No comments:

Post a Comment