Wednesday 18 December 2019

Back To Before


Back To Before

December 18th

Apology: It would appear that yesterday’s blog included a factual inaccuracy. Apparently you don’t plug your Prius into the mains, it’s a hybrid. I apologise unreservedly for getting the scientific facts wrong.

It also appears that I neglected to mention Star Trek! Now getting science fact wrong is acceptable but getting science fiction wrong in unforgivable.

To make up for that glaring error, today I shall write about Star Wars.

I know that there are some people who cannot bring themselves to embrace both Star Trek and Star Wars, they pick their team and support it fanatically.

I’ve always been flexible in my sci-fi tastes - I will watch anything and enjoy it for what it is. From Forbidden Planet to Babylon 5, from Dr Who to Quantum Leap…loved it all.

But back to Star Wars. Tonight I shall be sitting in my local cinema, just after midnight, to be one of the first audience members to see the final instalment in this 40 plus year journey.


I’ve avoided reading reviews, I don’t know what the story will say or how they will close this saga but I can assure you of one thing…however this thing ends, I’ll accept it.

I’m not going to be one of those people who get all upset and start petitions because they don’t like the ending! That was bad enough after the end of Game of Thrones!

It’s fiction…they can do what they want and if you don’t like it, tough.

I would have preferred that the Titanic didn’t sink. I know that undermines the emotional impact of the movie but I’ve thought about it and a small rewrite would still give us the tragedy of Jack’s death, just in a different way.

Picture the scene, Jack and Rose in the cabin as he prepares to paint her portrait. Rose slips out of her cloths exposing her breasts, nipples like puppy dog noses…and Jack has a stroke.

But Rose doesn't like being stroked so she stabs Jack in the neck! Blood spurts all over the puppies, and she then drags his limp and lifeless body to the deck and throws his carcass overboard accidentally dropping her necklace in the process.

There we have it, emotionally compelling drama but the ship sails into New York and we get a happy ending too. It’s got Oscar written all over it.

Anyway, enough of this silly fiction, let’s get back to some serious fiction.

I didn't see Star Wars; A New Hope until 1978, it didn't make it to our local cinema until well into the new year, but I had already read all about it in the fan magazines we used to read in those days before the internet. The days when only paid writers had opinions, not any idiot with access to a  keyboard.

Watching Star Wars for the first time, on the big screen, with that opening sequence of rolling text  (memories of Flash Gordon)  the music of John Williams and then the appearance of that first space craft…I was smitten. And I’ve watched with interest over the next 40 years as the franchise grew and the story developed, and we travelled forwards and backwards in time.

Some of the films I enjoyed more than others but tonight I’m guessing that the completion of the journey will give me a sense of fulfilment.

At least I lived long enough to see it through.

As a boy who always dreamed of space and adventure, Star Wars certainly did give me not only the droids I was looking for, but so much more.


Star Wars may be coming to an end but in the coming year, we shall have new Star Trek to devour and one thing is clear, no matter what else changes in the world, I shall never tire of visiting that galaxy far, far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment