Thursday 9 January 2020

History Has Its Eyes On You

January 9th

History Has Its Eyes On You








I think this child is beautiful. I don’t know their name, or anything about their life; it’s just an image I found on the internet. I post it simply because I wanted you all to think about something I was told this week.

Can you believe there are people walking the face of this planet who think this child should not be seen by other children? That they should be hidden away, because they are ‘not normal’.

I’ll tell you what’s not normal - hating something or someone, because they don’t look like you!

Well it didn't feel like it was normal, but now I’m not so sure.

Hatred seems to permeate every aspect of life and I think as a society we are becoming inured to it. People just say what they want, no matter the pain it might cause, because ‘freedom of speech’ is a god greater than any others. The high priests and priestess, the likes of Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan, claiming they have an inalienable right to offend.

Freedom of speech is sacred I’ll agree. Freedom to speak against injustices such as slavery or FGM or corruption or to protect the environment. Freedom to challenge the powerful when they over step the mark. Freedom to protest, freedom to inspire change for the greater good.

Tell me what greater good is served by allowing hateful people to demand a beautiful child is hidden from the world?

Tell me what greater good is served by attacking a young women who is trying to raise awareness of the effects of climate change?

What benefits are the to be found in constantly belittling another person so that they no longer feel welcome in this country?

I long ago pledged that I would not tolerate hate speech on my social media and I don’t care if you're family or friend, I will and have reported and blocked people who allow such hate to be displayed.

Nobody is stopping you having an opinion but if you really want to use the power found in the freedom of speech, challenge the arguments being put forward, don’t attack the person making the argument.

I listened to our new Prime Minster crowing about how much money is being ploughed into education, well let’s hope that some of it is spent on teaching children about civic responsibility and respect for others because that seems to be lacking in society.

I don’t really care where we stand on a global league table for literacy if that literacy is being used to hurt others. I’d rather we were top of the league tables for our humanity and compassion.

I don’t want to live in a country where a child cannot be left to play in their own garden because it upsets the neighbours.

Do you?






1 comment: