Saturday 28 December 2019

My Little Treasures

28th December

My Little Treasures

A knighthood for Iain Duncan Smith…for services to killing off the poor and disabled and for fighting back against the prejudice shown toward those who like to pick their nose in public.  (Google it if you didn't know about his campaigns in the area).

Isn’t it time that the honours system was overhauled so that politicians were exempt from getting a gong?  I mean they get well paid, they have expenses, they even get a huge lump sum payment if they lose their seat in an election. Why do they need a title?  Other than The Right Honourable Odious Toad.

Mini rant over.

On to more serious topics and the theatre year past and the year ahead.

All over social media people are choosing their top five shows of the year so I thought I might as well jump on The Band Wagon, starring Fred Astaire & Cyd Charisse.

I cannot pick just five shows so this is my Top Ten for 2019 listed in the order I saw them:


The Dumb Waiter/A Slight Ache - Harold Pinter Theatre, London

Standing At The Sky’s Edge - Crucible Theatre, Sheffield (4 visits)

Follies - National Theatre, London

A German Life - Bridge Theatre, London

Rosmersholm - Duke of York’s Theatre, London (2 visits)

Hugh Jackman in Concert - Genting Arena, Birmingham

Ian McKellen On Stage - Crucible Theatre, Sheffield & Nottingham Playhouse

Dark Sublime - Trafalgar Studios, London (2 visits)

Life of Pi - Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

Assassins - Nottingham Playhouse

I don’t write reviews but these shows all delivered beyond expectation and for many different reasons.

I was very lucky to be able to congratulate in person some of the people involved in these productions, including Gemma Whelan (A Slight Ache) who was so happy to be asked about her stage work instead of Game of Thrones, that she gave me a huge hug.

I got many hugs this year but when Joanna Riding held my hand I just about melted. Seeing her in Follies was a real highpoint and my thanks to Tina Foote for being my guest that day and introducing me to Ms Riding. (Tina Foote knows everyone).

Had the chance to meet the hugely talented and incredibly nice Lucy Briers this year. I saw Rosmersholm twice, she had a great role as the housekeeper and although the stars of the show were Hayley Atwell, Tom Burke and Giles Terera (all of who were terrific) it was the supporting performances by Lucy and Peter Wight that caught my eye. The craft of acting displayed at its best and I loved chatting with her about that.

Of course with Dark Sublime, there was a chance to support the lovely Andrew Keates.  There is never a shortage of hugs with Mr Keates: also a mention for Piers Cottee-Jones too, a new acquaintance who is equally lovely.   I enjoyed seeing them both in Nottingham when they were promoting the play and this photo shows us all, plus the lovely James Delmond McBurnie (uber fan of Marina), doing our bit.




The play itself, by Michael Dennis, is about an ageing sci fi star (played by the seemingly ageless Marina Sirtis) meeting one of her fans. It was the perfect play for a geek like me.

There is one other person who I must mention, the most famous person I know,  Alastair Natkiel.

Ali was part of the amazing cast in Sky’s Edge and it really was great to see him perform in such a special piece of theatre. I saw the show four times, over four consecutive Thursday nights. I would willingly have seen it every Thursday this year.

Seeing people you love and respect up on stage, doing so well, that makes me a happy man.

I met one other Alistair this year, and he deserves an honourable mention not least because meeting Mr A McGowan meant getting the best hug of the year from Charlotte Page.


I look forward to the year ahead and maybe seeing more friends on stage. The year begins with a return to Sheffield for Guys and Dolls, then later on in the year there's Uncle Vanya with Richard Armitage and Toby Jones, To Kill A Mockingbird with Rhys Ifans, Hello Dolly with Imelda Staunton and Sunday In The Park…with Jake.

There’s Shakespeare, my first ever trip to see Phantom of the Opera plus Jenna Russell in Piaf.

It has the makings of a great theatrical year.





No comments:

Post a Comment