Monday 30 December 2019

Are You Havin' Any Fun?

30th December

Are You Havin' Any Fun?

This morning I officiated at my last funeral of 2019 and I am now taking a well earned break from work…or that’s the plan.

Two weeks in which I might get around to some of the jobs I didn't get around to in the last 12 months.

I have some pictures to get valued and dispose of.
I have an office to de-clutter.
There is some tidying up to do in the garden.

I also have jobs that I don’t know about yet because Mrs B hasn’t planned them plus I may have jobs she already told me about but I forgot to do…that happens a lot.

I could say that as we stand on the cusp of a new year, a new decade, that I should turn over a new leaf and be more proactive about tackling these domestic chores but from experience, my newly turned leaves have a habit of blowing away.

I’m more than a little set in my ways.  I find it hard to summon up the energy to tackle the things I love so I have no chance of getting to grips with things I dislike.

I have already lived the majority of my life and I spent too many years doing things I didn't enjoy, so the days that remain are days I’d like to use wisely…or even profligately.


I know the jobs have to be done but I’m guessing like most people, when I die nobody’s going to stand over my coffin and say, “Drew regretted that he didn’t work harder on his chores”.

This is an irritating character trait that I freely admit to having. Irritating to others, not to me.

I don’t care about many of the things that others think are so important.  Not only do I not care about such things, but I also don’t care if you do care that I don’t care.

I don’t care if the lawn doesn’t look like a putting green. I’d rather be playing golf than trimming the lawn with nail scissors to make it look pristine.

I don’t care if the car is dirty. I’ll drive it to a car wash when I have a spare 15 minutes. I’m certainly not going to spend all day Sunday washing, polishing and stroking it in some lewd act of auto-masturbation. Sunday is the day of rest after all (even us atheists are willing to concede that one to whichever clever god came up with the idea).

I could list many more such time wasting jobs but that would be wasting time.

My opinion as to what is valuable in life is of course just that, my opinion and therefore very subjective. Others will find a different path to their contentment. What bugs me a little is the sometime judgmental attitude of others if you don’t power wash your hard standing every six months, or get the ladder out to check your guttering every time it rains.

If washing your car is fun for you, then carry on.
If winning prizes for the best kept garden makes your day then carry on.

But wherever you find your fun, just make sure you have some!

Some time for you, because eventually your time will run out and someone like me will be standing over your coffin, and what will I be able to say about you?



Are You Havin' Any Fun?






No comments:

Post a Comment