Thursday 2 January 2020

Sit Down, You're Rocking The Boat

2nd January

Sit Down, You’re Rocking The Boat

The festivities are over. Christmas is packed away in boxes awaiting my wobbly progress up a creaking ladder as I drag it back into the loft.

Considering I find it hard to stand upright on the ground, I’m taking quite a risk climbing  a ladder, but if I do fall to my death this morning it will be after a lovely plate of beans on toast and as a condemned man’s last meal goes, I’ll take it.

A quick glance through social media indicates that the bigots are still frisky at this time of year, they obviously don’t hibernate.

Some of them still harping on about the casting of  a female Doctor, others bemoaning a bisexual Dracula. Twitter will go into meltdown when they do eventually cast a BAME or female James Bond. I am going to try and stay out of these pointless arguments from now on: you cannot have a reasonable debate with unreasonable people.

There is one topic I’d like to comment on though and that’s to defend the Pope for admonishing the lady who grabbed his hand and pulled him towards her. I’m with Francis, I’d have chinned her; could have pulled him over and broken his hip! Remember what the Bible says; Let he who is without sin cast the first punch. Amen.

Of course he’s already sought forgiveness for his very human act and offered his apology for not being a good role model in his endless search for world peace…that he constantly prays for…as did all of his predecessors. How’s that going?

The Pope, like other world famous folk, is still human. I think the great unwashed forget that sometimes.

We expect them to act in a different way because of the position they find themselves in.

That’s apparent in another constant thread of discord on social media, that of the ‘disappointed fan’.  The people who, for example, paid to see a show in the West End and then scuttle around to the stage door to grab a selfie with the star.  But sometimes the star doesn’t appear and then the comments start. Nasty comments about how people should remember that it was the paying public who made them what they are!

No dear, it was their hard work and talent that made them what they are and it might just be that on the night you felt they let you down, they were feeling tired or ill or had friends and family visiting or they had to rush off to reshoot a scene on a TV show or movie.

There could be many reasons whey they didn't have time for a selfie with Sharon from Doncaster (their biggest fan) but one of those reasons was not to snub you. The price of your ticket bought you a seat to see the show and nothing else, please try and understand that simple point Sharon and you’ll be less frequently ‘heartbroken’.


I rarely go to stage doors, usually it’s because I have been invited or know someone in the show. The last stage door visit I made was after the panto at Sheffield and that was to get a hug from Mister Maker…for Polly, as they are old friends.  Well she gave him a high five and I got the hug but we were all happy.

Just for your information, Mister Maker is much nicer than Mister Tumble.

It would appear there are some celebrities who always have the time for the fans. I recall watching Daniel O’Donnell spend hours greeting every old lady who’d come to hear him sing at a charity event. He was more prepared than the Pope to be manhandled, but he was younger and less at risk of fractured bones.

It’s always nice when you meet a celebrity and they are polite and engaged but I’ve never taken it personally if they are not. It’s not all about me after all is it? I’m talking to you Sharon from Doncaster.

Sharon’s definitely a Pope grabber.

Anyway, better get some beans on some toast and then maybe a quick prayer before launching myself up the ladder.

See you all tomorrow - hopefully.




No comments:

Post a Comment