Follow by Email

Wednesday, 13 January 2010

The View from the Hill on Wednesday 13th January

Just been hearing about the earthquake which has devastated Haiti and I was immediately struck by the thought that these natural disasters always seem to hit in those areas where the people are not well off in the first place. Living in poorly constructed houses which collapse so easily, the infrastructure already shattered, it does seem that if god exists, he has a really sick sense of humour.

It also makes me consider the fluke of being born in a country that is not on or near a fault line.

Understanding the pressures involved here, a seismologist explained it as follow: It's like a man pushing a grand piano, you push and push and it won't move then eventually it just shifts a little - and bang!

The amazing thing is that in doing a little research this morning I found the British Geological Survey earthquake page and found that in the last 30 days there have been about 8 quakes in the UK - the nearest to me was on Christmas Day, 1.7 centred on Stoke on Trent.

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/

Have a look - I have posted the link above.

It knocks everything else into perspective, human disasters like this one, and had deflected me from my original target today - The McCanns.

Mrs B told me I was not allowed to write about them but I was prepared to ignore her (just this once) - anyway, I still think they are daft, but I won't be expanding on that here today. (Mrs B sighs with relief).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On this day in 2001, an earthquake hits El Salvador killing 800.

On this day in 1915 an earthquake hits Avezzano, Italy killing 29,800.

Obviously a bad couple of days for earthquakes - mark your diary for the 12th/13th January 2011.

On this day in 1961, Suggs was born...to be given the name Suggs seems like Madness!

And that's a fact!

No comments:

Post a Comment