Follow by Email

Thursday, 3 September 2009

The View from the Hill on Thursday 3rd September

It is officially blustery, in fact let me tell you how blustery it is. As I opened the back door to let the dogs in, I saw a small bear chasing a piglet who was flying at the end of an unravelling scarf. As the bear passed he shouted Happy Wins-day.

You see, it is very blustery.

It reminds me of other blustery days in the past, of an occasion when we lived at Hillgate Farm, North Road, Gedney Hill. It was so windy one night we lost part of the roof and we arrived home not only to find the roof damaged but the front door had been blown in. Inside the house all the farm animals had gathered for safety, the dogs were making sure they didn't make too much mess but needless to say, having thirty seven chickens four pigs and a rabbit in the parlour didn't make for a tidy scene. Luckily, with the roof being party blown away, the wind was keeping the smell to a minimum.

Childhood memories, they are so warm and wonderful and so, now what's the word...unreliable!

I was saying to my blogging sibling only last week, there are gaps in my memory as big as the hole in that roof (which was true) and I do wonder how much we all have to embroider our memories with a little creativity just to seem normal.

Today is the 70th anniversary of the declaration of war and on the news was coverage of the Kinder Transport being re staged, the children now in their 70's and 80's and all being reminded of those far off days, making new friends, reacquainting themselves with people they met only once under such terrible circumstances, but they seem happy to be stirring up those memories.

There is much of the past that is a mystery to me now, perhaps as I grow older I will rediscover those lost memories because it does seem with age comes a degree of forgetting what you had for lunch today but recalling what you had for lunch 70 years ago!

Oh dear God...shoot me now.

Must go, the bear is back at the door, he wants to come in and hide from the woozles.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The View on what to View:

Thursday ITV1 10:35 Outbreak


.

1 comment:

  1. Your memory seems just fine to me!!! But wasn't there a donkey?

    ReplyDelete